We† understand that you want investment options that are cost-effective, easy to manage, and get your money working harder for you. That's why, for clients of President's Choice Financial*, we are pleased to bring you index mutual funds offered by CIBC Securities Inc. that do just that.
- Save money with an exclusive management fee discount1
- Choose from 7 index fund portfolios to fit your open dialog investment profile
- Eligible for inclusion in your go to RRSP, jump to RRIF2, go to RESP3 or TFSA
- Great way to maximize the potential return on your investment
- Available as both registered and non-registered funds
- Investor selector tool helps you choose from seven portfolios and select what works for you
- Access to a money market fund for your short-term investing needs
- Enjoy the flexibility of investing on your terms − for as little as $25 a month4
- Dedicated Mutual Fund Representatives to help you every step of the way
What are index funds and how do they work?
An index fund is a mutual fund that aims to track the performance of a specific stock or bond index, such as the S&P/TSX Composite Index. And because index funds don't rely on fund managers to pick investments, they generally have lower management fees and trading costs than actively managed funds. The types of index funds that are available include Saving, Income and Growth Funds.
What is an Index Portfolio and how does it work?
Portfolios include a diversified selection of index funds that are automatically monitored on a regular basis. If your fund mix changes − because some funds grow faster than others − your portfolios will automatically rebalance twice a year to maintain the right mix of funds for you.
You also have the option to invest in individual index funds rather than the Index Portfolio, where you are responsible for choosing which index funds you want in your portfolio as well as reviewing and rebalancing when necessary. All CIBC index mutual funds offered by CIBC Securities Inc. for clients of President's Choice Financial are eligible for inclusion in your RRSP, RRIF, TFSA, RESP and locked in plans.
How do I apply?
Call 1-888-723-8881 or sign in to your online banking to apply.
- go toSign inplease be aware that the Sign In page is not ready for accessibility. Please call us at 1-888-723-8881 and we will be pleased to assist you
- go toFind nearest pavilion
To break it down, the concept behind a mutual fund is simple. When you buy a mutual fund, you are pooling your money with that of other investors. Professional investment managers then take that money and invest it in a variety of different ways. This gives you the benefit of diversification, meaning being invested in many different companies at once.
An index mutual fund is a mutual fund that aims to track the performance of a specific stock or bond index, such as the S&P/TSX Composite Index. And because index mutual funds don't rely on fund managers to pick investments, they have lower management fees and trading costs than actively managed funds. All CIBC index mutual funds offered by CIBC Securities Inc. for clients of President's Choice Financial are eligible for inclusion in your RRSP, RRIF, TFSA, RESP and locked in plans.
Professional investment management:
- Typically, only people with large amounts of money are able to work with professional investment managers to plan their investment mix. Mutual funds allow you to benefit from the skills of professional investment managers, with only a modest investment. In addition, since mutual funds pool your money with that of other investors, you have increased purchasing power and lower management costs than an individual investor would have.
- When you invest in a mutual fund, you're actually buying a stake in the many different investment instruments that the fund holds. This diversification reduces your overall risk, as a decline in one investment in the mutual fund may be offset by the strength of another. Most individual investors cannot readily match the level of diversification available through a mutual fund.
Potential for long-term growth:
- Inflation can eat into the value of your savings over time. However, if you hold a mix of mutual funds in your portfolio, with at least a portion in equity funds (which are higher risk investments), you may benefit from the long-term growth potential that equity funds can offer, while attempting to protect yourself from inflation. It can take some discipline to ride out the inevitable ups and downs of the markets, but those who do may have the greatest potential to gain over the long term.
Here are 6 steps to keep in mind when investing in mutual funds:
- Know yourself. Everyone has a different comfort level with investment risk and a different time horizon for achieving their investment goals. Find the risk-reward balance that's right for you and appropriate for your investment time frame.
- Begin investing now. Time can be your greatest ally, especially for long-term savings goals. Learn how starting earlier can help you achieve your investment goals.
- Build a diversified portfolio. Spreading your assets across a wide range of different investments is the best way to reduce risk and increase potential returns over the long term.
- Invest regularly. "Pay yourself first" by investing a set amount at a regular interval. Setting up a regular contribution program means your money is invested immediately, before you can think about spending it.
- Monitor your portfolio. Your portfolio will change over time. So it is important you monitor your portfolio regularly to ensure it still reflects an investment strategy that is right for you.
- Invest for the long term. Set a long term strategy and stick with it. You'll minimize your risk of buying or selling at the wrong time, be less affected by short-term price changes and benefit from compound growth.
The number one rule is, it's important to diversify! That's the advantage of index mutual fund portfolios. They keep your investments on track by monitoring your portfolio on a regular basis to make sure it maintains the right mix of funds. If your fund mix changes − because some funds grow faster than others − the portfolio will automatically rebalance itself twice per year to make sure it continues to match your needs.
Let's start by selecting which open dialog index portfolio is best for you.
open dialogConservative Income
Maximize interest income while preserving capital
go toConservative Income
15% savings 80% income Canadian 75% International 5% 5% growth Canadian 5%
Fund name go toCIBC Money Market Fund 15% go toCIBC Canadian Short-Term Bond Index Fund 40% go toCIBC Canadian Bond Index Fund 35% go toCIBC Global Bond Index Fund 5% go toCIBC Canadian Index Fund 5%
Maintain a high level of income, while attempting to preserve capital and a modest focus on capital growth
5% savings 75% income Canadian 70% International 5% 20% growth Canadian 5% U.S 8% International 7%
open dialogIncome Plus
Focus on high level income with long-term growth through capital appreciation, while attempting to still preserve some capital
go toIncome Plus
3% savings 62% income Canadian 57% International 5% 35% growth Canadian 10% U.S 13% International 12%
Equally focused on high level income with long-term growth through capital appreciation
0% savings 50% income Canadian 45% International 5% 50% growth Canadian 16% U.S 18% International 16%
open dialogBalanced Growth
Concentrated on long-term growth through capital appreciation, while maintaining a high level of income
go toBalanced Growth
0% savings 35% income Canadian 30% International 5% 65% growth Canadian 17% U.S 23% International 25%
Focused more on long-term growth through capital appreciation, while attempting to maintain a high level of income
0% savings 20% income Canadian 15% International 5% 80% growth Canadian 23% U.S 28% International 29%
open dialogAggressive Growth
Driven by long-term growth through capital appreciation and having a modest focus on income
go toAggressive Growth
0% savings 10% income Canadian 10% 90% growth Canadian 20% U.S 32% International 38%
Fund name go toCIBC Canadian Bond Index Fund 10% go toCIBC Canadian Index Fund 20% go toCIBC U.S. Index Fund 32% go toCIBC European Index Fund 20% go toCIBC Asia Pacific Index Fund 12% go toCIBC Emerging Markets Index Fund 6%
Other investment options
- Prefer a more tailored approach? Speak to one of our mutual fund representatives to build your own portfolio from our selection of individual mutual funds
CIBC Mutual Funds and CIBC Family of Managed Portfolios Simplified Prospectus
CIBC Mutual Funds and CIBC Family of Managed Portfolios Annual Information Form
CIBC Mutual Funds and CIBC Family of Managed Portfolios Financial Statements
CIBC Mutual Funds and CIBC Family of Managed Portfolios Management Reports of Fund Performance
Some of the above links are temporarily unavailable call us at 1-888-723-8881 or visit www.cibc.com
1Available on Class A units only. Premium class units are not eligible for the management fee discount.
2Portfolios are not eligible to be purchased within a RRIF. You may select an individual fund instead.
3Premium class not available for units held in an RESP.
4Amounts refer to class A units. Minimum for Registered Retirement Income Fund is $5,000 lump sum. Minimum initial investment for premium class is $50,000.
Important information about CIBC Securities Inc. and CIBC Mutual Funds
*CIBC Mutual Funds and the CIBC Index Portfolio Rebalancing Service are offered by CIBC Securities Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of CIBC and are not offered, managed or promoted by President's Choice Financial. Commissions, trailing commissions, management fees and expenses all may be associated with mutual fund investments and the use of an asset allocation service such as the CIBC Index Portfolio Rebalancing Service. Please read the CIBC Mutual Funds and CIBC Family of Managed Portfolios Simplified Prospectus before investing. To obtain a copy, call 1-888-723-8881 and select the mutual fund option, or ask to speak to a CIBC Securities Inc. Mutual Fund Representative. [For periods greater than one year, the indicated rates of return are the average annual compound total returns as of the date indicated and all returns include changes in unit value and the reinvestment of all distributions and do not take into account sales, redemption, distribution or other optional charges or income taxes payable by any unitholder that would have reduced returns. The performance data for money market funds also shows the current yield and effective yield as of the date indicated and assumes the reinvestment of distributions only and does not take into account sales, redemption, distribution or other optional charges or income taxes payable by any unitholder that would have reduced yields.] Neither CIBC Mutual Funds nor the CIBC Index Portfolio Rebalancing Service is covered by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation or by any other government deposit insurer, nor are they guaranteed by CIBC. There can be no assurance that money market funds will be able to maintain their net asset value per security at a constant amount or that the full amount of your investment will be returned to you. The values of many mutual funds, such as Income and Growth Funds, can change frequently. Past performance may not be repeated. The CIBC Index Portfolio Rebalancing Service is an asset allocation service available through CIBC Securities Inc. The portfolio manager is CIBC Global Asset Management Inc. The core asset mixes in each portfolio have been recommended by CIBC Global Asset Management Inc. The management fee discount for CIBC index mutual funds is provided by the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce as the manager of the funds.
The President's Choice Financial special mutual fund offer is available across Canada (excluding Quebec). The information contained on this site does not constitute an offer or solicitation to buy or sell any investment fund, security or other product, service or information to any resident of Quebec, the U.S. or the U.K. or to anyone in any jurisdiction in which an offer or solicitation is not authorized or cannot legally be made or to any person to whom it is unlawful to make an offer or solicitation. The information on this site is not intended to provide specific financial, investment, tax, legal or accounting advice for you, and should not be relied upon in that regard. You should not act or rely on the information without seeking the advice of a professional.
Premium Class units of this Fund are not eligible for RESP accounts offered by CIBC Securities Inc.
"Standard & Poor's®", "S&P®", "S&P/TSX Composite", are trade-marks of Standard &Poor and have been licensed for use by Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. "TSX" is a trademark of TSX, Inc. and has been licensed for use by Standard & Poor's. The fund is not sponsored, endorsed, sold or promoted by Standard & Poor's or TSX, Inc., and neither Standard & Poor's nor TSX, Inc. makes any representation regarding the advisability of investing in the fund. TSX © 2010 TSX Inc. All Rights Reserved.
The S&P 500® Index is an index that is intended to represent the U.S. equity market. It includes 500 stocks representing all major industries in the United States.
Nasdaq 100® , Nasdaq 100 Index®, Nasdaq® are trade or service marks of The NASDAQ Stock Market Inc., (which, with its affiliates, are the "Corporations") and are licensed for use by CIBC Securities Inc. CIBC Nasdaq Index Fund (the "Fund") has not been passed on by the Corporations as to its legality or suitability. The Fund is not issued, endorsed, sold or promoted by the Corporations. The Corporations make no warranties and bear no liability with respect to the fund.
"Wilshire®" , the Wilshire IndexesSM and "Wilshire 5000 Total Market IndexSM" are service marks of Wilshire Associates Incorporated ("Wilshire") and have been licensed for use for certain purposes by CIBC Asset Management Inc. All content of the Wilshire IndexesSM and Wilshire 5000 Total Market IndexSM is © 2013 Wilshire Associates Incorporated, all rights reserved. CIBC U.S. Broad Market Index Fund (the "Fund"), based on the Wilshire 5000 Total Market IndexSM, is not sponsored, is not sponsored, endorsed, sold, or promoted by Wilshire and it makes no representation or warranties with respect to the Fund.
The MSCI indexes are the exclusive property of Morgan Stanley Capital International Inc. ("MSCI"). MSCI and the MSCI index names are service marks of MSCI or its affiliates and have been licensed for use for certain purposes by CIBC. The Fund is not sponsored, endorsed, or promoted by MSCI, and MSCI bears no liability with respect to the Fund or any index on which such Fund is based. The prospectus contains a more detailed description of the limited relationship MSCI has with CIBC and the Fund. No purchaser, seller or holder of any Fund, or any other person or entity, should use or refer to any MSCI trade name, trademark or service mark to sponsor, endorse, market or promote this product without first contacting MSCI to determine whether MSCI's permission is required. Under no circumstances may any person or entity claim any affiliation with MSCI without the prior written permission of MSCI.
†®™ PC, President's Choice, President's Choice Financial and Fresh Financial Thinking are trademarks or registered trademarks of Loblaws Inc. CIBC licensee of marks.
Fresh Financial Thinking®